Sunday, October 27, 2013

Chosen For Adoption

Yesterday was the annual Chosen Marathon for Adoption race, a half and full marathon race, the purpose of it to raise funds for families pursuing adoption.  This race has a special place in our family as it was the primary fundraising driver for our adoption along with the generous support of the Abba Fund.  If I could only run one race a year, this would be the one.  I'm pretty sure I'll run it every year for a team of either someone I know or friend of a friend, or just pick a random team that would benefit.

The race shirt has the phrase "sweat and sacrifice" on the back, and as we well know it's a huge undertaking to adopt.  Being a runner, I had a great time racing (and a great race, set a new personal best for my half marathon time by 8 minutes!).  What really stood out though was all of the racers who I could tell were not runners.  People who came out and ran to financially and emotionally support family and friends who ran for them and their adoptions.  Who ran for an orphan they had never met.  Who truly "sweated and sacrificed" for families they love, or are friends of, or for someone they may not even know (we had all of the above for our team in 2011). 

I think that is what makes the race and day so special, in that it's not just financial support for a faceless cause.  It is real help for real people and to literally change or even save a life.  To change families.  I was talking with one of my kids and they made the point that it's hard to remember a time when Kayleigh and Michael weren't a part of our family.  It's only been a year and a half since they walked out of the plane in San Antonio, but I see the point.  It seems like they've always been ours, and have been such a joy and blessing in our family. 

I often wonder if it is they who have gained more by being adopted, or us by having them added to our family.  I know their likely fate if they had not been adopted and it would not have been good, but I also know that we've so enjoyed getting to be their dad, mom, brother, sister, family.  I think we've all been blessed by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment